Prepping Your Calgary Roofing for Winter
Your roof is your home’s top protection from all the elements, hot and cold.
Taking care of your investment, especially after a professional installation by the exterior team at A two Z Windows & Doors is essential to prolonging the life of your roof, as well as ensuring you uphold your responsibilities as a warranty owner. If you take the time in the Fall and Winter to ensure your roof is taken care it, it will in turn take care of you for years to come.
The team has assembled several steps you can take to guarantee the quality and durability of your roof:
Safety First. If using a ladder at any time of the year to check out your roof, secure it, and always use fall protection and safety glasses. Falling ice and snow can cause head or eye injuries, or both!
- Before snow and ice arrive, check for any previous rain, hail or wind damage such as missing, rolled shingles or flashing. Patch and seal.
- Check for tree limbs that will be close to or laying on your roof. Trim these as they can scratch shingles.
- Regularly clean out gutters and eaves as leaves fall and seal up any cracks with leak guard materials.
- Autumn is when mold can really take hold. Check shingles for discolouration regularly before snow arrives.
- Check your runoff along your shingles and angles to ensure runoff goes where it should.
- Ensure downspouts are not leaking and are directed away from walking areas–frozen water is a hazard.
- Soffits and fascia can also rust from a moldy roof. Clean off with rust remover and gentle scrubber.
- If your roofing is more than 10 years old, it may be time to get a free inspection from A two Z Windows & Doors in Calgary for potential repair or replacement.
- Check your attic for any signs of leaks and make sure insulation is up to grade to ensure lower heating bills, and for signs of pests which will bury in for the cold weather ahead.
- After the first snow and melt, do a quick visual inspection for damage–missing, rolled shingles and check the flashing around chimneys, vents, flues, corners, etc.
- Invest in a telescopic snow rake for your roof. It can help take some of the weight off your shingles safely. If you have large accumulation, consult a snow removal expert.
- When snow is piled up, look at the melting patterns for hot spots (areas that melt faster signifying heat loss).
- If you notice icicles, you’ve got a problem. Use a ladder safely, and on a warm winter day, clean out gutters and eaves, removing any leaves, debris, growth or moss. Inspect for cracks and leaks due to ice jams.
- If the gutter is clogged with debris, frozen water can damage the system and other parts of your home.
- Look for discoloured streaks or spots on the shingles–could be mold, fungus or rust. This can eat away at the shingles.
- Soffits and fascia can also rust in between warm and cool spells. Clean off with rust remover and gentle scrubber on a warm day or make a date in Spring to take care of it.Worried about your Calgary roof performance before winter hits or have questions about warranty requirements? Call the A two Z Windows team at 4703-257-DOOR (3667) or email us.