Maintaining your new exterior stucco
Now that your Calgary stucco has been applied to your home by the exterior experts at AtwoZ Windows and Doors, it looks beautiful!
To keep it looking fresh and clean, its a good idea to keep up with regular maintenance. This will ensure the integrity of your investment and give you a lifetime worth of classic stucco siding.
To ensure you are taking care of your roof and exterior materials throughout their warranties, JJ O’Connell and his team at A two Z Windows and Doors offers this helpful checklist:
- Safety First. If using a ladder, secure it, and always use fall protection, safety glasses and gloves.
- To clean your stucco, start with a sprayer attached to a garden hose. Use the ‘fan’ water setting so there is not too much pressure that can damage the finish. Historic stucco should be at no more than 600 pounds per square inch (PSI) and no more than five gallons a minute (GPM). It is actually recommended to buy a sprayer attachment meant specifically for cleaning stucco.
- For stucco that has some discolouration, rust or mildew, mix a 4:1 ratio of water to bleach and with a soft cloth or soft bristle brush. Apply to the affected area and let it soak for a bit (similar to when you bleach white clothing), and keep an eye on it. When you see it changing colour to your original hue, you can use warm water to rinse off the bleach mixture. Let it dry for a full 24 hours and check the viability of the treatment. It may have to be repeated if the stain is stubborn.
- If you need to cover a stain, or you want to do a partial or full stucco exterior coat of paint. The ONLY type to use over stucco is called elastomeric paint, which is acrylic-based, designed specifically for masonry materials. Since stucco is porous, the paint helps the finish to continue to breathe after the paint is applied. If you use any other kind of paint, it can cover up the pores and trap moisture behind the finish, leading to mold, mildew, rotting and crumbling stucco. If you are colour matching, try to match the original colour of the house instead of the faded hue. Elastomeric paint will also cover cracks that occur when your home settles–a hard fact of life in Calgary. If you see cracks that have a wide more than the edge of a quarter, call the A two Z Windows & Doors experts to help. You need to get these patched before water seeps.
- Any questions regarding your Calgary roofing warranty or request for repairs, call the A two Z Windows team at 4703-257-DOOR (3667).